In our house Wednesday night is Mexican night. This usually means burritos as I can proudly say I'm practically an expert at making burritos. Now you can use one of those yellow burrito kits (which are really handy if you don't have all the ingredients) but I prefer to make my own (and it usually turns out cheaper!)
What you'll need;
Packet of lean steak mince
Tin of Mexican/taco beans
1 tbsp of Tomato purée
1 tbsp of olive oil
1 tsp of garlic powder/garlic purée
Tsp of dried chilli flakes
2/3 tsp of ground cumin
Pinch of paprika/smoked paprika
1 cup of rice
Handful of fresh coriander roughly chopped
Sour cream (optional)
1. Put your rice in a pan with 2 cups of boiling water and the juice of one lime.
2. While that's boiling, add the oil and mince to a frying pan, when that starts to brown add the cumin, dried chilli, paprika, garlic and tomato purée.
3. Add 4 tbsp of water to the mince to make it more saucy. Put on a low heat then add the Mexican/taco beans (found in your tinned goods aisle in the supermarket, they'll usually state that they are in a sauce- these are the ones you want!)
4. When the rice is done, tip out the excess water, add the juice of the second lime and two thirds of your fresh coriander, stir in. Add the rest of the coriander to the mince.
5. Both the rice and mince are done. I like to arrange everything on a table so people can help themselves. So on your table you will have; a frying pan of burrito mince and beans, a pan of lime & coriander rice, a bowl with salsa, a bowl with sour cream and tortilla wraps.
And the great thing is whatever is leftover you can take for lunch the next day!!